Followers

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A-Z Challenge: Letter S



I'm no longer going to apologize for my long breaks. I'll just continue this until it's done. The next A-Z Challenge for 2016 is about to begin this April. I know, I totally suck at blogging. LOL. Please bear with me. So, this is the S part of my 2015 A-Z Challenge. I'm almost done!
There's a lot of S words that remind me of the Philippines: Sili, Salabat, Sapin-Sapin, and Singkamas.


Photo grabbed here.

Sili is probably here in California. I'm probably not having any luck finding them, that is. All chilis here are normally the green kind. I miss Siling Labuyo. That's the real spicy red chili I grew up with.

Photo grabbed here.

Salabat is my home remedy for sore throat or cough. It's boiled ginger. That's it. No other ingredients, unless you want to add honey.

Photo grabbed here.

Sapin-Sapin is one of my favorite Philippine desserts. It's layered rice cakes. It's good with shredded coconut.

Photo grabbed here.

Singkamas is one of my favorite snacks. I love crunchy stuff! In fact, Singkamas or Jicama, is a great low carb replacement for French Fries. I have yet to try it at home, though. All I need is to find jicamas somewhere. HeHe.

Photo grabbed here.

The best part of eating Singkamas is putting Bagoong on it. Bagoong is Filipino shrimp paste. I prefer the spicy flavored version. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. The sapin sapin is so pretty! So how does the boiled ginger work? How much do you boil? Fresh root boiled as is or cut up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I peel it and cut it. I measure it by palm-size = 1 cup of water. I normally do more than just one palm-size content, though. I do add water all the time. I also filter if I'm going to drink it, to avoid drinking pulp.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!