Followers

Monday, April 13, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Letter K



There are three Tagalog words that I associate with the letter K: Kalamansi, Kamias, and Kutsinta.

Photo taken here.

Kalamansi, also spelled Calamansi, is what we call our small lime. We use it as how we use lemon or lime, but what I truly miss about Kalamansi is squeezing it in iced water. It's a cool refreshing drink. Maybe, I don't search enough, that's why I can't find it here. I know, I know ... I can't even drink it nowadays because it needs a lot of sugar. No sugar for me. Boo!

Photo taken here.

Kamias is a tropical fruit that I've always connected with my grandparents' yard. There's a Kamias tree inside the five-house compound, and the fruits were always a great snack. No matter how much wrinkles our face got, because of the sourness of the fruit, we still took a bunch and drowned it in salt. Mouth-watering crunchy good! Whew!

Photo taken http://aidaskakanin.com/product/kutsinta-mix/.

Kutsinta is one of my favorite Philippine desserts. It's not too sweet, but the shredded coconut that goes with it gives a whole lot of difference. I love it! Kutsinta can be found at a Filipino mom-n-pop bakery here in California. If only I can eat sweets any time! LOL

6 comments:

  1. I would imagine that first citrusy fruit would need lots of sugar. Not sure I could put salt on fruit though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;ve never heard of these. Amazing how much produce is on this Earth and most people don't know much more than about ten percent of it.

    Stephen Tremp
    A to Z Cohost
    Twitter: @StephenTremp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there.
    My parents live in the Caribbean. They have a lime tree in their garden and I brought loads of limes back with me when I visited them a couple of years ago...limes are expensive here in the US!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calamansi grows in Hawaii too, and is available at our farmers markets. I like to squeeze it over fish. We have a lot of Filipino farmers so there are exotic fruits here. I've not heard of Kamias though. Kutsinta sounds great.
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love Kutsinta because of it taste and texture. I didn't have any in a while and I miss eating it. I wish I know how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your blog. Thanks for participating this year and invite you to join in next year.
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!