Followers

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Letter F



My A-Z Challenge is all about everything I miss about the Philippines. For my letter F, I'm blogging about Fishballs.


Photo taken here.

Fishballs are not missing here in California. They can be found in the frozen section of any Asian stores. What I miss about fishballs is how I acquire it when I was in the Philippines. As a kid, I didn't shop at the frozen section of a store. I waited outside the house and looked out for the fishball vendor. When the vendor's cart shows up at his usual station, it was a happy part of the day. The wooden fishball cart is a push cart complete with propane gas stove, a hot cooking oil, and a wok. I would run towards the cart parked at the side of the street and hand my P2-pesos to the vendor. He would cook P2-peso worth of fishballs in front of me. I'd grab a wooden barbecue stick from one of his containers and skewer the cooked fishballs. While hot, I'd dip them in the awaiting sauce containers: spicy vinegar or sweet and sour sauce. I dip in the spicy vinegar first and end it with the sweet and sour one. Hot, crispy, sweet and spicy, just the way I like it. I miss fishball as a street food, that's what.


Photo taken here.

Watch our for G tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. I read fishball, but my mind thought fish eye. Sooo, I thought how did I miss the bag of frozen fish eyes and how many fish eyes would it take to fill a bag. But, then when I began reading about the fishball (think, fish eye) vendor, I thought wow! when did that become a thing. Just before I got to your last sentence, I thought ah ha! she's talking about fishballs. hahahahaha
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Nothing like that here. We had the ice cream man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I totally miss street eats back home.

      Delete
  3. You threw me off with the fishballs title, but after reading, that doesn't actually sound too bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word fishballs makes me giggle. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello stopping by i never heard of fishballs before. Sounds interesting. Nice post. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!