Followers

Thursday, April 2, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Letter B



My A-Z Blog Challenge is all about Tagalog words, or words associated with my Filipino culture. Usually, words that I truly miss having around me.

Today's letter is B. Of all the B words, I miss Bukayo and Bagoong the most.


Photo taken here.

Let me start with Bagoong or shrimp paste. I would say it's not completely missed, because the Filipino grocery stores found here sell them (i.e. Seafood City, or any Asian Markets). The part I miss about Bagoong is actually the Philippine mangoes that go well with it. HeHe.


Photo taken here.

Bukayo is a very chewy sweet treat. It's probably the reason why I had Type 2 Diabetes. HaHa. It's considered a Philippine-made candy that is caramelized coconut shreds. It's addictive! Definitely one of my favorite snacks when I was a little girl. I don't see it being sold here, but probably, I'm not searching enough. I'm sure they're in a Filipino Mom-n-Pop store somewhere. Valerio's Bakery perhaps.

Stay tuned for more.


4 comments:

  1. Can't you find mangoes in the produce market or grocery store? I see why you are so adventurous with food. These seems like such odd foods to me. I don't think I'd last two seconds on a trip to Asia. On the other hand I'd probably lose a lot of weight from lack of eating. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, Philippines Mangoes are way different than the mangoes sold in the stores here. I don't know why, but it lacks something unexplainable.

      Delete
  2. I am visiting from the Blogging A to Z challenge. I grew up in New Jersey and spent my summers with my grandparents who lived on the inland waterway. They had a canal in the backyard and the inland waterway in front across the street. Many times we would set the crab traps off my grandfather's dock in the canal and catch crabs. Then my grandmother would immediately boil the crabs for us to enjoy. I can't say I remember what else we might have ate with them, but I know to this day I still love eating crabmeat.

    I look forward to learning more about your culture and the things you miss about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experienced "crabbing" in San Francisco. We had big circle metals wrapped with nets which we threw out of the sea. (Rope attached to it so we could pull it back) But, before we did that, we tied raw chicken all around the net. After a few minutes of having thrown the net in the water, we pulled it up and voila, tons of crabs. Illegal sized ones must go back in the water. I can't remember if it's the small ones or the big ones. All I know is that I had a lot of fun doing it.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!