Followers

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Letter A



Aaaaahhhhh! I almost forgot that April is the A-Z Challenge month. So, before I fail to do this, here is my letter A.

This year's A-Z Blog is all about the things I miss the most ever since I migrated here in America.

We start with the letter A. There are so many A words from my Filipino dictionary, but right now, I can only think of two: Atis (sugar apple) and Alimasag (blue crab).


Photo taken from here.

Atis is one of my favorite Filipino fruits. I'm not saying that it's from, or only from, the Philippines (who knows), but I first tasted it there, so it's a Filipino fruit for me. LOL. It's very sweet. I just don't like the hundreds of seeds that I need to spit out every time I eat it.


Photo taken from here.

Alimasag, or blue crab, is abundant in the Philippines. It can be cooked a whole lot of ways. I remember from one day when we had a bucket full of alimasag for dinner. Everybody started cracking them and eating them at the same time. I, on the other hand, just cracked, peeled, and set aside the exposed meat. It sat on my plate. Everybody asked me why I was not eating, but I only smiled. I piled up a mountain of crab meat on my plate. Everybody wanted to scoop some from it, but I kept hitting their hands for them not to steal any. Once I was satisfied with the amount of meat I acquired, I started eating in peace. Steamed white rice and fish sauce mixed with vinegar. (I don't eat white rice anymore, but it would still be good with my Cauliflower Rice) Everybody finished the bucket of crabs, but they looked at me like they wanted more. Unfortunately, no more alimasag. HaHa. I kept hugging my plate like crazy.

Well, that's only the first day of the challenge. More to come.


7 comments:

  1. Oh that apple is too neat! I've never seen one of those before. Very cool.

    Anna @ herding cats & burning soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it is only from tropical places, that's why.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. The apple reminds me of an artichoke. I would love to try one. Crab is really popular here in New England, and Maryland is famous for them as is the Pacific Northwest but I'm allergic to shellfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the fruit. It's addictive, except for the seeds.

      Delete
  3. I never heard of an Atis before! Now I would really like to try one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them available in the frozen section of Seafood City. I wanted to get a pack, but I was telling myself they're not really fresh. :-(

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!