Followers

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Halloween Keto Meals - Spicy Chili and Jalapeno Cheese Almond Muffins



Since I have associated Halloween with Chili and Corn Bread, I had to make my own Keto version of it in order to be in the spirit of the occasion. It is not Halloween yet, but we got the Shaglings this weekend, so it is our Halloween weekend with them.

I discovered this low-carb chili recipe, but I kind of tweaked it to my taste. I have read the comments to it, and I didn't want mine to be like that. So, you would see the difference from my own recipe below.

The Chili

Ingredients
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 pound of Ground Beef (browned and drained)
1 cup chopped Onion
3 stalks Celery diced
2 cloves of Garlic minced
1 can of diced Tomatoes with juice (14.5 oz)
1 can of Tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 can Beef Broth (14.5 oz)
1 cup hot water
3 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce (or more, depending on the spice you can handle)
1 cube Beef Bouillon
Shredded Cheese for garnishing

Procedure
1. Brown and drain ground beef. Set aside. (I added the drained liquid into the mix because it has all the natural beef flavor in it.)


2. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil. I used a deep soup pan and didn't use the crock pot.


3. Add cooked ground beef and celery. Mix it.
4. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth (plus drained liquid), Sriracha sauce, and all spices. Mix it all together.


5. Let it simmer (I actually had a rolling boil and then lowered the heat). Add more salt and pepper, depending on your taste.
6. Serve in a bowl garnished with shredded cheese or add more Sriracha sauce for more kick.

Of course, one can't have chili without corn bread, but I can't have regular corn bread in my WOE (way of eating). That's why I was so happy to stumble upon this recipe. I took out the honey, because I don't need sugar in my WOE. I also tweaked the cheese a bit. It still tasted good.

The No-Grain, Low-Carb, Corn Bread Substitute - Jalapeno Cheese Almond Muffins

The Ingredients
2 cups Almond Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Large Eggs
3 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted (+ 1 tbsp for to grease muffin pan)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Peppered Jack Cheese
1-2 pcs chopped Jalapenos

Procedure
1. Preheat oven to 325*F.
2. Add the almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix it together. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, add almond milk, eggs, and coconut oil. Whisk it together.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, add the cheese, and the jalapenos. Mix it all together.


5. Pour the batter into a greased muffin pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Don't overflow, since the batter rises. (This recipe makes 8 muffins. I didn't have an exact 8-muffin pan, so the photo shows empty slots.)


It's not only a great Halloween treat, but it's also good during rainy weather! I made three batches of the chili. I only made one batch of the muffins (my husband made his own corn bread). Bon Appetit!





1 comment:

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!