Followers

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Hui Ilima 55th Annual Lu'au



Time flies quickly and another lu'au happened. One of my favorite events of the year, the Hui Ilima Lu'au occurred this evening. We just got home from it. This year, though, they had a new venue in San Jose instead of Mountain View. The event was held inside IES Portuguese Hall in Santa Clara Street. And, this year, my parents-in-law, my sister-in-law, and stepkids accompanied me and my husband. It was one big happy family event.

I love the new venue. Lots of parking, because they allowed us to use the nearby church's parking lot. We did get in line early, and we had front row seat. Unfortunately, we were at the side instead of the middle. Still, we were closer to the stage compared to our last year's seats.

My plate

My husband's plate


Please excuse my photos for being blurry. I did not bring my DSLR camera with me. I felt lazy. In fact, I even forgot my phone and used Shaggy's phone instead. HeHe. Anyway, the wonderful members of Hui Ilima served us delicious All-You-Can-Eat Hawaiian food: Kahlua Pork, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Chicken Long Rice Soup, Poi, Sweet Bread, Sweet Potato, Baked Fish, Steamed White Rice, Cocunut Pudding, Pineapples, and Fruit Punch Drink. We prepared for this. I only ate apples for breakfast and lunch, and I worked out real good to free up space for this Hawaiian goodness. HaHa. I'm serious! The food overflowed. It's all you can eat, and you wouldn't say no to everything, especially the Chicken Long Rice Soup. It's my favorite! I honestly need to get the recipe, so I can cook it at home.

In the past, I mentioned that I was not a fan of Poi. However, someone told us this evening that it shouldn't be eaten by itself. It's partnered together with the Kahlua Pork. I tried it this time, and boy oh boy it was great. The saltiness of the Kahlua Pork blended well with the light sweetness of the pasty Poi. What a delight! They were both great together added in Steamed White Rice. Yum!

After dinner, the dance show commenced. Great performances! I adored the keikis (little girls) dancing Tahitian. I kept thinking, "Where did their spines go?" HaHa. They can shake it real good!







Hawaiian dance is fascinating and captivating. Hui Ilima's Lu'au is the closest thing to being in Hawaii. What a lovely culture to experience! Filipinos are considered Asian Pacific Islanders, that's why Hawaiian is somewhat close to my heart. I danced Tahitian when I was a little keiki myself. However, don't ask me to dance now, because I don't think I can do the grass skirt thing. LOL.

If you have no plans of going to Hawaii yet, but you are interested to experience a Lu'au, I highly recommend that you visit Hui Ilima's Lu'au next year. It's totally worth it. There are raffle prizes in store for you, too, aside from the magnificent food, the friendly hospitality of the members, and the excellent dance show. Someday, I'm positive I'd be visiting Hawaii, but for the meantime, this lu'au is my fix.


So, how's your Saturday evening?


2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys had a good time! I think I would have no trouble resisting the sweet breads unless of course it was actually bread that is sweet. Otherwise there is no way you are getting me to eat pancreas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It is an actual Sweet Bread, literally, that is. It's like a Pineapple Cake.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!