Followers

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Old School N




N is for Newspaper.

Saving trees became one of the main goals of different environmental organizations. Lots of green projects increased in number. When the internet joined the scene, newspapers became less needed. It's not totally obsolete, but its industry had a big loss of subscribers.

News became accessible through computers, cellphones, tablets, and phablets (phones-tablets combined). Every little bit of information flooded the internet: encyclopedia, dictionary, magazines, books, tabloids, classifieds, etc. Who needs a printed newspaper nowadays? Oh, I do know the answer. Collectors of cartoon strips, scrapbookers and the like, but not everybody compared to the past.

The convenient way of reading about the whole world became available through small mobile gadgets. Technology eliminated the bulky morning paper you love to tuck in your brief case. Your hands became free of smudgy newspaper ink. No more turning tons of big pages in order to find the continuation of the news story from the front page. Everything sat in the palm of your hands with a swipe of your index finger.

Ah, convenience! And you're helping the planet, too. Don't you agree? Unless you're a cartoon strip collector, or a scrapbooker... or a news clipper, perhaps.


8 comments:

  1. It is so much faster to get caught up via internet, online mags, and online news channels than it is to wait for the paper to come...crazy to think it was the fastest way to spread the news once. Newies are now a thing of the past, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I love Google Reader. But, they're stopping it. Fortunately, Feedly replaced it. There's also Twitter. I click on every news link from there.

      Delete
  2. Visiting from A-Z Challenge
    good post
    but I prefer the newspaper - easier to skim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! At first, I find it hard to read news online. I guess I got used to it.

      Delete
  3. What makes me mad is that a lot of newspapers are now making people pay to read them online. The Cape Cod Times allows you to access 3 stories per month for free, and that includes the weather. I think it's bogus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always about the profit. There are a lot of free news online anyways. I just type the city and voila.

      Delete
  4. I've never cared for newspapers or magazines. Books, on the other hand, I'm not ready to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine kids who grow up without paper-based media won't really miss it.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!