Followers

Monday, April 15, 2013

The Old School M




M is for Maps.

I'm quite sure that everybody can relate to this. With the invention of the GPS Navigation, who needs a paper map, especially if every cellphone has it, too? Or you can buy a GPS unit for your car, and you're good to go anywhere, everywhere. (Unless you have mazeophobia like me. *laughs*)

Seriously, I didn't own a GPS unit back in 2005. I got lost in Sacramento. I stopped by a liquor store and asked for directions. The cashier advised me to buy a map. Duh. I didn't buy a map. I didn't want to read a map while searching for the correct road. *giggles* Well, I do know how to read a map, I just didn't want to waste money on a downtown Sacramento map. I never visit it often enough for me to own its map. So, I saved my money and got me a GPS unit instead.

GPS Navigation went out with a loud boom of convenience. People who get lost easily can now just listen to the voice prompts and arrive at their destinations. It's a piece-o-cake!

The fun thing about GPS voice prompts is that you can buy a unit with different types of voices. The funniest I've heard so far was Ozzy Osbourne's voice telling me where to turn left. He cussed at me! "You effin' need to turn left!" I was shocked. I think I missed my turn. *cackles*

Technology can be fun sometimes. Have you heard a famous voice on a GPS? Tell me your story.


10 comments:

  1. Hehe, I do not own a GPS unit, but my friend Mike of Ohio had one. And we got lost following it - because of flood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I got lost using mine at several incidents. It is not really direct to the point.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I don't own one, but then I am not driving anyplace where I would need one!! I have a android so if I would ever get lost, there you go!! Great post!! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love maps and I love to read them but it's hard when driving. I have to plot a new route out on a map (sometimes highlighted) with the exact turn by turn printed off from mapquest or handwritten. I don't have a GPS but Russell does. He brought it with him when he drove me back from Seattle. As it turns out, because I-90 starts in Seattle, and ends at Boston's Logan Airport, we didn't need the GPS at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do, too. I write down directions on a piece of paper, but I don't use maps. I use Google Maps. I copy the texts, especially the mileage gaps/distance in between turns. Getting lost is glued to me. LOL

      Delete
  4. Actually, I love maps. I love them just to look at, to use as wrapping paper, to use for art projects, etc. I also love to sit down with a nice fat Thomas Guide and search for places to explore.

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good looking at them, but not when I'm lost. Somehow, it makes me more confused.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Sylvia. I'll definitely check out your blog.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!