Followers

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Old School J




J is for Job Hunting.

Without the computers and internet, job hunting would be gruesome. You must have a subscription to a newspaper, open the classified ads, and search through the numerous job listings. You're either requested to call or visit in person from each listings you're interested in. You have to dress up and travel to the different addresses you've acquired. Your whole day becomes totally booked with just job applications. That means, a different day for job interviews. How time consuming! Just imagine also the money you're spending traveling everywhere, unless you walk or bike. Also, you spend money printing out your cover letters and resumes. Or if needed mailed out, you need stamps.

With the computers and internet, your applications are done online. Easy! The job ads come to you with an emailed notification. You can do other things while applying for a job, and it also means you can send out multiple applications all at the same time. The interviews can happen through phone calls or video-conferencing. Very convenient!

How times have changed!


6 comments:

  1. Oh I wouldn't say applying is all THAT easy. Without fail every time I fill out an online app, I get told that I've missed some field or done something wrong, or in the case of one site, the whole damn thing spazzed and backed up 6 pages, losing all my data. I HATE applying online. You always have to register w/ the site, and half the time I've forgotten that I have an account there and forgotten the password. I miss the days of the classified ads. And don't get me started on the job scams on Craigslist. I haven't encountered one employment listing on there that's legit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are always pros and cons on everything. There are bugs! Teehee.

      Delete
  2. Sounds complicated to me and I sympathize with JoJo above. In the old days, you filled out an application and hand delivered it. My son was successful online however. Just glad I don't need a job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that! Except, I've always had in-person interviews, even for my latest job (which I've since quit to be a self-employed writer and inventor).

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my shares of phone call interviews, and more in-person ones. I don't think it would be obsolete. People need to face each other somehow.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!