Followers

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Old School H




H is for Handwritten Letters and Handheld PDAs.

Gone are the days when people write letters by hand. I've had my days of reading unreadable penmanship, too. I guess all of them illegible writers are happy to have a computer to type their letters with, click print, and do magic. Emailing galore! Hello to arthritis! Well, handwritten letters, for me, exercises my hand, and it circulates the blood in my hand. I even practice my left hand to write. Ambidexterity to the max! I'm not saying that it's totally obsolete because I still write by hand, and I know a lot of others who do so. Still, emailing has replaced it more than half of the percentage, so yeah, it's kind of an old school.

Handheld PDAs or personal digital assistants were quite famous in the past. Palm Pilots! I had one and I was so happy with it, but it was just a heavy stylish digital calendar, clock and address book, nothing special about it. They are now all gone, I think. They were replaced with our smartphones. Our phones have more than just a calendar, a clock and an address book. It's a phone! It's also a game, a mailbox, a diary, etc. It's not just a personal digital assistant, it's a pocket-sized psychiatrist!


10 comments:

  1. Mixed feelings...Handwritten letters are becoming archival. I have some from family I plan to save. Now I hear cursive isn't being taught in some schools. How will kids ever sign their names? Or future authors do book signings? I'm sure it will all work out in the end... As for me, all my communication is electronic, so go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Haven't heard that some schools are not teaching cursive. That's not right.

      Delete
  2. I stopped handwriting in a journal b/c I got writer's cramp so bad and my fingers would go dead/numb. I can just type way way faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my journals and penpals. Ibuprofen to the rescue. LOL

      Delete
  3. I still send handwritten cards a lot. I love getting snail mail :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always amazes me how fast things change. I would rather type and email because it is so much faster. I think we have all gotten used to immediate gratification and quick responses. :)

    Happy A to Z- it is good to meet you. Thanks for stopping by Moxie Writers! :) -Rebecca from moxiewriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still like handwritten letters in some cases. But I also remember passing handwritten notes in class ... our version of texting!! We even used some of the same abbreviations! It all started on the short, quickly-written paper notes in class. :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love little notebooks and writing in them. I remember reading an article about "cursive writing is dying", which is sad! I also had a palm pilot! I loveeeeeeed it. hehe. But, alas, nothing can replace the iPhone...now if only it would drive me to work and give me a foot massage. ha! I am a new follower as well!

    Courtney Worth Young

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad is still old school, and he will handwrite letters to his friends and brother. I think it's a lovely way of communicating, as you know someone has taken time and effort to put a letter together, rather than just updating their facebook status.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, memories. And the fact that it's easy to just copy and paste. I miss those old fashioned love letters.

    Dropping by once again! :)


    Sincerely,Miss Uncertain---sidetracked

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!