Followers

Monday, April 8, 2013

The Old School G




G is for Games.

There were handheld games that I have enjoyed in the past, but are now either obsolete or included in annual game shows. I'm referring to Tamagotchis, Game & Watches, and pinball machines (I know pinballs aren't really carried by hand, but you flip it by hand--hahaha).

For Tamagotchis, they were the pocket-palm-sized, egg-shaped key chains that has a small digital screen. The screen shows you the digital pet. It starts with an egg and it cracks. You get notified when you need to feed it, play with it or cure it. It was fun at start, but it gets annoying at the end because it ends up bothering you all the time. Very demanding toy! Cellphone app makers created an app for Tamagotchis. It's playable today, but it's still annoying. I just miss the egg-shaped key chains. *giggles*

For Game & Watches, I've played the Popeye and Brutus, the Octopus, and the Chef versions. I miss them all. I tried searching online thinking I'd be able to buy it for cheap, but I was disappointed. Not only they're really rare, but if you try to buy it from someone who collected it, it's very expensive, and they might not be working. Booo!

For pinball machines, I guess I'm happy to say that I still can play them at this age. However, they're not available everywhere unlike before. (i.e. roller skate rinks, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc.) There are only a very few places where they are located. Fortunately, I go to California Extreme, Pacific Pinball Museum, and Pin-a-Go-Go. They all have the pinball machines I love! They do manufacture new machines today, but they're the hi-tech ones with fancy lights and sounds. It would probably cost a fortune when I play with it. At least, during the expo shows, one flat fee for free play all day.

How about you, do you have a vintage game that you miss at this age?


21 comments:

  1. Just pinball. Although I was good at air hockey but I haven't seen a table in years. On the other hand I haven't visited any arcades since the early 80s either. I had a handheld electronic baseball game that I got in 9th grade. It drove my parents INSANE with the beeping to the point that they'd yell at me to quit playing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a 4-person air hockey game at Dave & Busters the last time I went. I've also seen one inside a bowling alley. They still have them apparently.

      I miss the part where parents get annoyed at beeping sounds. I was inside Sweet Tomatoes the other night, and parents weren't paying attention to their kids playing angry birds with a loud volume. It was very rude. Oh well. Zombie family.

      Delete
  2. Im sure that pet must have gotten annoying after a while.
    Happy A-Zing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree. For a while, I downloaded the Tamagotchi app on my phone. I was excited to play with it. Even my husband did the same. For days, I tried to keep up with taking care of the pet. I just got tired. It died quickly. LOL

      Delete
  3. Hand held, hmm. I remember the old Sega Game Gear hand held console, first one I remember having color graphics. I don't think it ever got too popular like other hand consoles. Besides that, I used to love playing Joust on those huge, old school arcade machines in the 80s. I know that's not hand held but yeah you play it with your hands. ;) Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the wonderful 80s. Definitely, good times.

      Delete
  4. I never played handheld games, but I remember pinball machines very fondly. I guess my favorite outdated games would be hula-hoop and knockers (late '60s). Knockers were a pair of lucite balls on strings that you banged up & down. I don't know how parents stood it! Now, I kinda miss bowling. I belonged to a kids' league, but never do it anymore (though that's my fault, not that it's outdated!).
    Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention hula-hoop as outdated because I still have one, and I know that there's a lot of stores selling them still. Plus, inside the gym, there are tons of hula-hoop aerobics. You'd be surprised if you go to www.meetup.com and type hula-hoop or bowling, or maybe knockers. There are groups who still do them and meet up.

      Delete
  5. The only game I really enjoyed playing was Bad Day on the Midway. Nothing has intrigued me since then ~

    Damyanti from AtoZ said you needed some attention, so I popped on by ~

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the attention. *blink blink* I hope I'm not too demanding. LOL

      I'm a goof.

      Delete
  6. Haven't played pinball for real in years. I also remember some mini hand-held pinball games....the kind we got as stocking stuffers as kids. Remember those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you're in California, but I've shared the links of where to go for pinball events. I'm sure there are pinball places around the country that operate.

      Delete
  7. I miss the LCD Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong Junior games. I was an absolute wizard at those when I was 9 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played some Donkey Kong, but I'm just so bad with it. If I'm bad with a game, I give up easily and not play it anymore, ever. I love Galaga more.

      Delete
  8. My faves are still around, ping pong, pool, and air hockey. So much fun!

    New follower via the A to Z. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those are still around. I miss playing pool, too. My stick is probably drowning in spider web inside the garage. LOL (Well, not really. Was trying to be funny. It has a leather casing. w00t.)

      Delete
  9. Haha, great choice! Personally, I miss the big arcade games for Ms. Pacman, Centipede, Burgertime, and Frogger. Someday, I would love to get one of those old arcade games for my garage. :)

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit my husband's AtoZ blog. His theme is all old arcade games. He's at Eclectic Musings.

      Delete
  10. Tamagotchis - I remember those little things. More demanding than kids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My father brought home a pachinko (sp?) machine from I think Thailand when I was a girl. I spent hours playing that game...playing until the little glass door dropped down and ceased all play because I'd broken the bank. Ah the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved my Tamagotchi!

    I still have my SNES (which was my brother's before he passed it on to me). You can't beat the old style Super Mario Bros.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!