Followers

Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Old School F




F is all about Floppy Disks and Film.

When "floppy disks" first went out, everybody was serious in using it. Then the jokes started. Gosh, I wish I could tell you all the jokes about "floppy disks," but I might get banned from Blogger. *laughs hysterically* (Somehow I felt weird laughing because I'm not sure everybody got the explicit-adult-joke-eyebrow-nudge I did.) Anyways, if some of you don't know what a "floppy disk" is, it's the bigger version of a flash drive (that's how I understand what it was). You save stuff in it. It looks square and flimsy. That's why the name floppy was used, I guess. (Can you guess I didn't do some research on this? *giggles*)

No, I seriously did research about it. "Floppy disk," or diskette, is a disk storage medium. It's thin and flexible, sealed in a rectangular plastic carrier lined with fabric that removes dust particles. It started at 8-inch (200mm) in size. Later on, it became 5.25in (133mm) and 3.5in. (90mm).

With the improvement of technology, storage became smaller with bigger capacity. Not sure if there are still floppy disks being used, but I'm sure I prefer my tiny USB flash drives.

How about you? Do you have a "floppy disk?" (Oh please, get your minds off the gutter. *laughs out loud*)

###


For years, I've used film when taking photos. My photography class in college enabled me to develop my own films in a dark room. I didn't like the smell of the chemicals at all. It was like working around vomit the whole day.

I know that there are still a lot of photographers who use film, especially the professional ones, but there are also more pros using digital nowadays. Digital is very convenient. No more numerous boxes of film to buy and store. Everything is in the cloud! Well, not literally, just saying.

Photos are now saved in SD cards. No more bulky film strips. No more days of waiting to develop photos. Point and shoot. Shoot and print. Print and display. Voila!

Technology. It makes lives easy. Don't you think so?


10 comments:

  1. My Apple IIgs computer, which is still boxed up, has everything on 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disks, because I never got around to getting a hard drive for it. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first learned about computers using floppy disks. This reminds me of Sandra Bullock's movie, "The Net." It's all about the Floppy Disk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean you've never really seen or used a floppy? Now I DO feel old. lol I have been carrying around a roll of film in my purse for over a year b/c I can't find anyone to process it. CVS said they still did film, but this is B&W and it was rejected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've seen a real "floppy" all right. It's too floppy I let it go. LOL

      That's the trouble with black and white films. I wish I could offer my services. You just need to have a dark room and all the chemicals, plus paper. I'll develop it for you. :-)

      Delete
  4. I used to use the old 5.25 floppy disks! My first experience on a computer was on an Apple, and I played a game in which letters would move horizontally across the screen at a faster rate as time went on, and you had to type the letters before they hit the planet made of dashes and pluses, and flew apart. LOL!

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I only used floppies for saving stuff.

      Delete
  5. I do miss the excitement of taking a film to the chemist and having to wait an hour for it to be developed. Then picking up the packet of photos, not knowing what gems would be inside. I do like my digital camera, but there was something special about taking a film to be developed. We've now lost the ability to wait for things, which is a shame.

    http://rebeccahgiltrow.blogspot.co.uk/p/a-to-z.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a very few photo business establishment that accepts film nowadays. It would cost a fortune probably. And yes, people became impatient. I see that in restaurants everyday. They can't wait for their table, their food, and their checks. They're all glued to their phone while waiting, too.

      Delete
  6. I discovered an unused roll of film recently and felt awful tossing it, but the camera was gone. Floppies are so dated now, I almost thought you were talking about flip-flops at first :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ flip-flops.

      Well, don't throw the film. It's going to be an antique collection.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!