Followers

Friday, April 5, 2013

The Old School E




E is for Encyclopedia.

When I was a little girl of five (back home in the Philippines), there were a bunch of big, hardbound, and expensive-looking books locked inside one of our spacious glass-covered shelves.

One day, one of my aunties unlocked the glass door of one of the shelves. She took out one of the giant books. She went back to her chair and opened the book flat on her desk. I approached her because I got curious to find out what was inside the big book.

My eyes were captivated instantly. The pages were colored and they had a lot of pictures and drawings.

"Auntie, may I have one of those books, too?" I asked.

"Sure you may," she replied. She stood up and reached for the very first book in front of the row.

"Are those drawing books?" I asked, waiting for a positive answer.

"Nope," my auntie said handing over the book to me that has a silver A on the cover.

I was disappointed that the books weren't drawing books, but as a kid it was a normal reaction.

My auntie told me that the books inside the shelves carried all the information about the whole world. She added that everything inside was written alphabetically. Also, she advised me that I'd learn a lot of information by reading them.

I got interested in reading because of the different encyclopedias at home. We had Colliers and Encyclopedia Britannica at that time, as far as I can recall.

Today, decades after, every bit of information can be found online--through laptops, cellphones, and tablets. No more thick, heavy, hardbound encyclopedia books. Technology made our lives easier. With this old school gadget, I totally agree. Can you imagine carrying 26 hardbound books, from letters A to Z? I carry my phone with me everyday knowing I can get answers if ever I encounter a scientific phenomenon around the corner. I miss the smell of old encyclopedia books, but I surely don't want to carry them all with me for information's sake.

Maybe, I'd carry them if I need backpack weight while doing my walking workout. *wicked evil grin*


14 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this exact subject today after I teased Russell and called him a 'regular encyclopedia Brittanica'. It got me thinking about how the salespeople must be out of jobs thanks to google. My parents got the junior set of Brittanicas, as well as the adult version. I loved the junior version. It was full of colour pictures and easy to read text. The adult set seemed so much more technical, with impossibly thin pages and tiny type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, no more paid commissions from selling encyclopedias. Wikipedia is free! Unless you donate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool that encyclopedias were what got you really going in your reading. I used to read an outdated set when I was younger, I had stuff like that and those boxes that had tons of cards in them with like animal facts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the drawings. Didn't read much then because I had to open up a big dictionary. The words were unfamiliar to me at that age. HeHe

      Delete
  4. I saved one, because I feel the same about the smell and texture of the books. Every now and then, I just want to hold it in my hands and look through it a bit. It always brings me a feeling of nostalgia, and sometimes inspires an idea.

    The A to Z blog said in the latest post to add a link to your own A to Z blog in the comments, so here's mine: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With regards to the smell of books, I just go to the public library and sniff a fix. Bahahahaha!

      Delete
  5. Even when there's so much of e-books, the feeling of real books doesn't fail to fascinate me. Good post! :)

    - A fellow blogger from A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They'll probably come up with a book smell app.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be bizarre, but interesting. Can you imagine smelling different dishes of food, too? HeHe

      Delete
  7. I had a set of kid's encyclopedias when I was little. 26 little blue books that I used as drawing books. In hindsight I probably should have used those for reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't really blame you. I myself looked at the pictures as well.

      Delete
  8. Whenever I think about encyclopedia, my earliest childhood memory that pops up in my head was the time when my mom had to sell our books because we were moving away. ):

    Hello po! Have fun A-Z-ing! By the way, I'm from the Philippines. :)


    Sincerely,Miss Uncertain---sidetracked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kababayan! Mabigat talaga mga libro. HeHe They're heavy!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!