Followers

Monday, March 25, 2013

What I've been doing lately...



Photo taken here.


My transition to this blog cost me a lot of readers. I guess, I couldn't mass announce this new page the way I want it. Call me lazy, but I thought that they'd soon find their way here, one way or another. So, to update everybody with what I've been doing lately, here's this blog:

1. Snail Mail Penfriends - I renewed my membership with International Penfriends Club. I used to have around 100 penpals when I was in college. I lost them all when I got married (my first one--yes, there's three, shush *laughs*). I tried twice to reconnect, after getting married two times. It was difficult, especially when (in 1995 to 2000) there were people in my life who weren't supportive about things that made me happy. Right now, I'm surrounded with wonderful people who support everything I do. I'm able to express myself freely, artistically, through my writing. Yes, letter-writing is an expression. I love to write to people, and it's a practice of short story writing, fiction or non-fiction. I'm so happy with my new numerous penpals. Lots of them from Germany. I restarted my collection of used stamps and postcards. Wonderful histories of different cities around the world! It's exciting. By the way, there's also Global Penfriends Club and Letternet. Just a tip to those interested to start snail mailing: IPF and GPF are paid. Letternet is free, but members are mostly in Germany.

2. Long Ridge Writers Group - I made a long pause with my Creative Writing home-schooling, and I reinstated my enrollment and kept my student number. I'm in the middle of their "Breaking Into Print" course, and presently tackling Assignment #5 and #6. It sounded easy when I first started, but I'm getting the jitters now. *laughs* Anyways, the course is all about short story writing for magazines. I'm going to try and pitch some of my short stories to different magazines. There are also different short story contests that I plan to join. LRWG provided me with the list of ongoing contests. There are tons! Just visit their site, if you're interested to start studying from home, and submit your Writing Test.

3. Novel writing - Aah, my fiction books. I'm fighting with my muse. We're having a difficult discussion all the time. I have to decide and take control, or else nothing will be finished. I used to rely on my computer to continue parts of the first novel. I shook off that habit and carried pad and paper with me. Ideas got written down anytime, anywhere. This way, I created something while undecided, and at the end of the day accomplished something. I'm going to finish one book soon. The second one had a different notebook. It's getting ideas, but I'm getting too overwhelmed with what I'm doing in its entirety. I have to set aside the second book, for now.

4. Second book of poems - I'm self-publishing a second book of poems. I don't want to pitch it to a publishing house. I want my poems in a more intimate circle. It's not about the profit. I've gained some from my first book, but when it comes to poetry, I prefer to gain positive critiques. Of course, I welcome the negative ones as well. It helps for improvement. My first book was published in 2006, and it's time for me to update. Watch out for, "Sonnia's Sonnets and other poems."

5. Yahoo Contributor Network - This partime work has occupied a lot of my time lately. It's a great way of gaining writing experience. It's mostly non-fiction, but finishing Yahoo's writing academy was a great deal. I learned a lot with regards to writing for the internet at this age. I love the grammar and punctuation part. However, I wouldn't want this to block my other writing gigs. I try to balance everything. So, my articles won't be coming everyday, but they would appear once in a while. If you haven't visited my YCN profile to read my articles, please click here and enjoy reading.

6. Writing Meetup Groups - Always keep a group of writers around. I'm so thankful for Meetup for having wonderful groups of writers. They are all willing to support and give their ideas and advice. I can't thank them enough. If you haven't discovered Meetup yet, just go to their site and type in your interest near your area. You'll discover a treasure of people who love to do the same thing you do.

Aside from all those stuff, I'm also looking forward to the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. I have my theme and ready to write. They're not going to be long blogs, but short and direct to the point. Looking forward to reading other blogs and following new bloggers.

4 comments:

  1. I used to belong to the Int Penfriends Club in the 80s. The letters all dropped off in the 90s as people started getting married and having families. Glad you are devoting so much time to your writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit rusty at first, but my hand got the hang of it. It's not easy when my fingers aren't cooperating when holding the pencil. LOL

      Delete
  2. ?? Here for the A-Z challenge, maybe there's a problem with your link?

    http://flatstanleyfriends.blogspot.com/2013/04/flat-stanley-and-letter-a.html

    sorry for the cut and paste url, but you only have the generic google option, which doesn't work well for folks with multiple blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy,

      Thanks for visiting my blog. Not sure what the problem is. My blog is very friendly for all. You can write HTML codes to post your blog links. What I'm thinking is that you don't know how to type the codes. You just type < a href = " (without spaces) then your url ending with another " > and type the wording you want to appear as a link and end it with < / a > without spaces. You can do that multiple times for each of your blogs. Hope that helps.

      Example for your copy-pasted link:
      Flatstanleyfriends

      *happy smiley face*

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting and reading my blog. I am so happy that you are here. I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to share your comments. Do understand that it may or may not be approved at once, since I want to review the content of your comments first. I protect my readers all the time, and I would not want to have something posted that would offend anyone. Unfortunately, if you are commenting under an Anonymous handle, your comment won't be posted. Have a wonderful day!